Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Critical Bug with refrenced article

Critical Bug with refrenced article 3 years 3 months ago #1

• Jan.Brandenburger
The SlitSlider has a really critical bug:

If you reference an article in a slide and the article is archived automatically during the slide is enabled, you get an 404 on all pages where the slider is visible.

Do you have a fix?

Thank you and Kind Regards,

Jan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Critical Bug with refrenced article 3 years 3 months ago #2

• joomlaplates
Hi Jan,
sorry but it makes no sense link to an archived not public article!
You get an error 404, article or site does not exist. Same error if you have linked from menu item to a not public article!

Critical Bug with refrenced article 3 years 3 months ago #3

• Jan.Brandenburger
Hi,
thank you very much for your quick response.
You are right: it makes no sense to reference a "dead link"- but this is only the first quick idea/solution.

I have two Points of View: as an Joomla User with 16 years of experience and as an .net Developer with 8 years of experience.

As an Joomla User:
We have a team of 5 persons, who add, modify and archive content on the site.
The articles will be archived automatically in our scenario, so there is no manual action.
If one user archive an article linked by a menu, only the menu link is dead. If the person archive an article which is referenced to the slitslider the complete "Homepage" of my site is dead.

As an .net Developer:
It could not be, that a module has the effect, that the complete site crashes. If the 404 come inside the module - all is okay. But then the remaining functions of the site are avaiable. Our homepage (Startseite) was offline for 8 hours because of that and as a church this is a horrible scenario, because of the long list of events during the christmas time.
In my opinion there should be integrated a try-catch or a if-then-else where you check that the link exists, because an archived article is no bug - it´s a feature...
If not, you can e.g. disable the link-button in the slide or throw a 404, but only in the module.
My testing division at work would say: its a simple test case: "What happens, if the article is not available?"
If the app crashes, we get a new critical bug in out ticket system.

So I try to ask again, if there is any possiblity to get a little fix, that our site will not crash because of the slider when reference an archived or deleted article.

I am grateful for your help and support.

Kind Regards,
Jan

Critical Bug with refrenced article 3 years 3 months ago #4

• joomlaplates
Slitslider Version please!

Critical Bug with refrenced article 3 years 3 months ago #5

• Jan.Brandenburger
Thank you very much.
Please the the attached file.
We use the Hope Template.

Kind Regards,
Jan
Attachments:
Moderators: joomlaplates

Einzelnes Theme ( Download 1 Template)

Das sog. "Einzelne Theme" ist für alle Kunden geeignet die lediglich ein (1) Template benötigen, egal ob kommerziell oder privat genutzt. Sie dürfen das erworbene Template auf einer Joomla Installation produktiv nutzen.

Mitgliedschaft ( Download alle Templates)

Während ihrer Mitgliedschaft ist es ihnen erlaubt alle Templates herunter zu laden und unseren Bestimmungen entsprechend zu nutzen. Nach Ablauf der Mitgliedschaft dürfen sie natürlich alle bereits in Nutzung befindlichen Templates weiter einsetzen. Sie haben jedoch nach Ende ihrer Mitgliedschaft keinen Zugriff mehr auf den Download Bereich und keinen Zugriff mehr auf Updates.

Die Zahlung ist einmalig und ihr Membership läuft automatisch aus, sofern sie es nicht erneuern.

Unsere Mitgliedschaften bieten wir ausschließlich über JoomlaPlates.com an.

Jetzt kaufen