Here is a brief instruction on how to update a template if a new exists.
1. Step - Backup
- Goto Extensions/Template Manager/Templates
- Select Templates
- Click to the Template you want to edit
- Select the file you want to backup > Image 2
- Backup the css/custom.css
- If you have modified more then the css/custom.css you have to backup these files too.
2. Step - Template Update
- First at all make a backup of all the customized theme files, described above ( css/custom.css)
- Download the latest Template version and extract the package to your desktop.
- Unzip the downloaded files
- Connect to your Joomla system administration
- Goto /Extensions/Extension Manager/Upload & Install Joomla Extension and select the Template Zip File.
- Clean the Joomla cache: Joomla Admin > System > Clear Cache