Please always enter the name of the template and the Joomla version and the live URL if available

[SOLVED] multi-language site, copy template style for each language??

• retiro
  • retiro's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

my site must support 4 languages and I intend to use the Hotel template and LanguageSwitcher. Now, when reading the docs, I come across a statement that I have to copy the template style for each language. I find this requirement quite shocking, given that I have to make 4 copies of a fully customized template style only to adapt one parameter (namely, the menu name). If I later want to change anything, I have a maintenance mess because I have to maintain all 4 copies. This goes against everything I have ever learned about software engineering.

I also want to note that supporting multiple translations works just as I expected with the Cassiopeia Template that comes with Joomla. All I do is create a menu for each language and assign it (via the menu module) to the "menu" position. No need to copy the complete template.

After all, language is a matter of content, not of design (with the exception of RTL issues).

Am I missing anything here? Is there a way around this?

thanks
Chris
Last Edit:7 months 3 weeks ago by retiro
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by retiro.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by WM-Loose on topic multi-language site, copy template style for each language??

Posted 7 months 3 weeks ago #33592
I don't understand your excitement at all. You are not the only user who uses multilingualism with Astroid.
Once you have created and set up your template, you can easily copy it.

With template updates, the styles are updated all at once. What more effort could there be? You are unlikely to constantly adapt the templates and change the design of the website again and again for each language.

If you have individual CSS code, you can use custom.css, which is then applied to all styles. If you don't like the framework and templates, you are welcome to choose other systems.

Then you don't have the variety of design options and other Astroid advantages, but you have to decide for yourself.
Nobody is forcing you to use Astroid.
Kind regards,
Dirk
Joomlaplates Admin
Joomla-Master in forum.joomla.de/

• retiro
  • retiro's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks, Dirk, for pointing out that no one is forcing Astroid on me. This is truly a relief in times were so many questionable things are being forced on people..

your assumption that I might not want to change my template style later after having copied it is arbitrary and wrong. Having to do these changes on as many copies as I have languages is and remains a true PITA (as the american say).

Have a good one.
Last Edit:7 months 3 weeks ago by retiro
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by WM-Loose.

Take that:
Code:
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/gtranslate/
JP-Admin
Joomla-Meister im forum.joomla.de

Moderators: joomlaplates

Installations-Service

Don´t waste your time, we install your purchased Template
with the "Demo Content" within the next 24 hours.

Buy Now - 59€

Joomlaplates/Theme-Point is not affiliated with or endorsed by Open Source Matters or the Joomla! Project

Copyright © 2022 JoomlaPlates | Professional Joomla Templates with Uikit 3

Disclaimer & Privacy | License